Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Obligatory Hurricane Post

As you've undoubtedly heard (and I belatedly report) my state had its latest in a long series of encounters with a hurricane. I survived just fine, but I had some observations.
  1. Dennis' visit only reconfirmed my opinion that TV reporters are idiots. At this point, I'm used to the local types going into histrionics at the mere whiff of tropical weather, the old "Omigawd!We'reAllGonnaDieeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!" But now we've moved up the food chain, thanks to cable news. I got a full diet of Andersen Cooper standing out there in Pensacola, just freaking out as a Ramada sign came crashing down at his hotel. It was like the Weeee! song, only without the squirrel.... No, really, that's what he sounded like. Flip the channel and Fox and MSNBC are playing the same stupid song. Morons.
  2. Hurricanes like weekends. I can only assume this because the past 5 have all landed between Friday and Sunday. (And I checked!) I'm especially bitter about this one as Charlie foiled my plans last year to be with Dudette on her birthday (I instead spent the night at my parents as a mandatory evacuation had descended upon me). I had to reschedule for a month later, just in time for Ivan. I ended up not making it to Dudette's until October. In between, Frances screwed with my Miami trip to see Tiesto. (I saw him, but I had to play "race the hurricane" the next day...) Why can't a hurricane arrive on a Tuesday? I don't have plans on a Tuesday.
  3. People have no sense of priority. Just on the off chance Dennis got too close, I had hit the store for a few odds-n-ends, topping of the supplies if you will. I guess they already done their supply shopping, because the other 4 "gentlemen" (quotes mine) in line all had 24-packs of their favorite beer, one in each hand. This happened last year too. Potential disaster lurks and they're more concerned about getting their load on. See my last sentence in item #1.
  4. I still wouldn't live in Phoenix.
PS The Weee! Song is proof positive that the internet is a thing of beauty.

1 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I still have to get hurricane supplies for this season -- I'm such a slacker!

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home