Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Poetic Justice, of a Sort

As you've surely read by now, the 5th Amendment took a bullet to the head last week with the Supreme Court's (if not already, soon will be) infamous "Kelo vs. City of New London" decision. And surely it has been commented ad nauseum by those more (and some less) eloquent than I. Suffice to say I think this is one of the worst decisions they've handed down in my lifetime. In fact, I'm in rare company when the editorials of both my local mullet-wrappers agree in their condemnation.

At any rate, the universe, not being without a sense of justice, has seen fit to hoist Justice Souter by his own pertard. It seems his quaint & quiet New Hampshire abode may fall victim to a nefarious private developer. He may be well-connected enough to avoid the wrecking ball, but I hope not. I hope it gets smashed and the "little people" his decision (well, his contribution to it) put out in the street gather around, point and cry "Sauce for the goose!" And I'll cry with them.

Sorry, I get a little cranky when my constitutional rights get so blatantly trampled on. I mean, I expect them to get taken away bit by bit (And lets face it, do you really own something that can be seized for not paying your taxes on it? You more own your DVD box set of Gilligan's Island) But now even the illusion of ownership is shot to hell. Now the motto is, "A man's home is his castle, as long as Wal-Mart doesn't want to build there."

Wisconsin and Texas are already considering laws to reign in local goverments who are on the take from the big developers of the world. Hopefully my home state will follow suite. If not, time for a citizen-initiated amendment.

Update: To quote Kosh, And so it begins...

Update 2: Slate's got some great editorial cartoons on it.

1 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I think the new eminent domain decision was so stupid -- talk about the ripe potential for abuse!

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home