Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Hurricane Post

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the New Orleans disaster. I had to cut myself off from the coverage because it just saddened, angered and frustrated the hell out of me. (I was nearly in tears when I saw the video of Harvey Jackson...) I don't even really have it in me to make a proper commentary, other than express my disgust at how quickly this human tragedy has degenerated into partisan blaming (don't even get me started on Mr. West's "remarks").

Not surprisingly, it's taken a foreign media source to actually try to start asking all the right questions, not just those politically convenient (People with both D's and R's behind their name's got some 'splaining to do.). I recommend the article by the BBC's Paul Reynolds. I hope he stays on top of the story.

Oh, and in case you don't know about it, there's a blog out there being written by a guy holed up in some hotel in New Orleans. With the Police Department now declaring that they're really going to get everyone out, I don't know how long this guy can keep it up, but he has a unique perspective on things.

And yes, I ponied up what I could to my charity of choice. I did so last Tuesday. I'll be making another (and another and another) as the paychecks come in.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

good for you! I'm actually considering a ham radio because of this -- sounds cool, eh?

8:36 PM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

You need a cool handle, then. Something catchy, yet saucy. Yes... "Saucy" should definitely be part of it...

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home