Saturday, January 29, 2005

Knowledge is Power and So Are Plastic Beads

I still don't get what people see in collecting the previously mentioned plastic bead necklaces during my towns annual festival, but I do know one thing: Today, I had the power.

As our float rolled down the parade route, some of my associates, who seemed to have a greater bead budget, winged theirs into the crowd pell-mell. On the other hand, I had to pick and chose my targets. And in the end, that was far more satisfying. I wouldn't just look for the cutest chick in the crowd or the guy who was jumping the highest. I also wanted those who stood back a ways, unable or unwilling to enter the front lines. Maybe it was a parent with a child, an older person, someone who wore the expression "They'll never toss me one.", or simply a desperate one.

Having found that person, I would point directly at them and lock eyes with them, to say "I choose you." My intended recipient would react - their eyes widen, a look of Me? Yes! Please please please! crawls over their face and they literally wait in anticipation as I wind up like Peyton Manning and launch that worthless bead necklace in a high arc from my hand into theirs. (And if I do say so myself, I'm actually a pretty accurate thrower, though I expect my shoulder to have words with me about it tomorrow.) Having caught it, they would almost always show gratitude: wave back, jump in excitement, yell "Thank you!", point back in kind, mouth the words "You're the man!"

And, after a day of deciding who was worthy of my beads, I realized that I finally understood what it must be like to be a rock star or DJ standing before a throng. People were screaming and begging for my attention. My arms would spread, beads dangled from my fingers. The vibe hit and I would flick my wrists ever so slightly, asking them "Who wants some?", and people would go nuts. I could feel their energy rise in response, wanting becoming needing. At some level, I was commanding their emotions. Then, when I deliver to them that which they so crave, they would unleash an intoxicating (albeit supremely shallow) kind of adoration in return.

Did I like it? Of course, I did. Wouldn't you? (Only if you were completely anti-social or immune to the most human of needs - attention, wanting, approval - could you say no.)

By most accounts, today was about a party and a good time, which I had. But I never would have imagined that englightenment had stepped aboard that float with me.




1 Comments:

Blogger Carol Davidson said...

Consider yourself bookmarked. Now throw me some damn beads, willya? Keep writing. I'll keep reading.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home