Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The Best Show You're Probably Not Watching

I pretty much watch everything courtesy of my DVR (the last ReplayTV model with the oh-so-nifty commercial skip feature, before Hollyweird sued it out of existance... Don't get me started on what I think of that bunch.). Last night was my chance to watch "24", my 2nd favorite show currently airing (My top 5: Lost, 24, Alias, MI-5 and Ghost in the Shell:SAC)

Which brings me to #4, MI-5. It's probably one of the best shows you're not watching. MI-5 is the UK's counter-intelligence bunch, which I suppose parallels our Homeland Security. (I'll leave it to you to decide how well). It's sort of a thinking man's 24. Where 24 goes for the more visceral thrill, MI-5 likes setting up tension and letting it play out slowly. It's in a bit of flux as the original lead actor is leaving and a new character is stepping in, but it's earned enough brownie points with me to give it the benefit of the doubt. So far the new guy seems up for it, but I'm still recovering from the trauma of the downward spiral of "Robin of Sherwood" from HTV (when the brilliantly cast Michael Praed pulled a David Caruso and was replaced by Jason "Son-of-Sean" Connery who proved that the apple can and does fall far from the tree).

At any rate, MI-5 is very well done and is worthy of a look. Find it on A&E on Sat night at 10pm.

P.S. To the writers of 24: I fully expected a mole character in CTU, but did you have to telegraph it like that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home