Monday, February 21, 2005

A Grand Day at the Racquetball Court

I blame L for this one... it's that damnable, yet utterly fashionable, picture she has as her avatar on Random Speak.

So I'm wandering about outside yesterday, preparing for unimportant doings and goings one does on an uneventful Sunday afternoon. There's a racquetball court nearby and up drives a car. Out pile Mummy, Daddy, Grandma and the precocious children. Granted, the amenities in my complex aren't exactly kid-friendly, so maybe the parental units felt only the racquetball court was safe for their offspring. But this wasn't just some simple "let the kids play with a ball" adventure. No no, this was A Grand Day Out. A gala event! All they lacked was the picnic blanket and kite. (At which point you have to wonder why they didn't go to, oh, say a park with trees and birds and slides and all sorts of neat outdorsey naturey goodness?)

So how does L come into all this? Well, watching this... production unfold, that oh-so-fashionable avatar of hers suddenly pops into my head and the next thing I know, I've mentally recast the entire event into some 19th century English countryside setting. It'd go something like this, though better if I knew the lingo of the day...

Papa: What's wrong, my precious? You look positively crestfallen.
Collette: I'm bored Papa...
Papa: Bored? Tut-tut! We shall have none of that! But what to do? Ye gads, I know! We shall have a Grand Day Out!
Collette: Oh, papa! Can we really? That would be so heavenly!
Papa: Oh, mama! Oh, Benjamin and Winfred! Gather round!
[all] Yes, papa?
Papa: I have decided we shall have a Grand Day Out!
Mama: Oh, wondrous day! But where shall we go?
[all] Oh, yes... where shall we go?
Papa: Gadzooks! I know! We shall go to yon racquetball court for a fine afternoon of cavorting and ball throwing.
[all] Oh, what a simply delightful idea!
Papa: Now everyone, put on your outing fineries and gather your festives. We shall all load into the motorized horseless carriage and proceed hencewith to the racquetball court!

Something like that... (darn you, L!)

3 Comments:

Blogger L said...

sorry. I can't help it if my blog is so fascinating and charming. It's a terribly curse ;)

(I actually get a similar feeling when I look at it too -- and it's such a funny little pic)

12:50 AM  
Blogger The Doctor said...

The next time I see them, I'll send them your way for fashion tips and the proper use of the word "terribly"...

8:30 AM  
Blogger L said...

oops

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home